As you’ve probably already notice this website is all about wind energy. Wind Energy Systems have been used to produce electricity in America since the late 1920′s. There are many different ways to Design, Build and Test a wind turbine. On this page we show you the way we did it.
This is an ongoing process so I’ll put the latest updates up top along with the more detailed full story(as I write it) below.
Wilson Wind Turbine
In 2009, I came across a new company in Arkansas that was developing a residential wind turbine. The wind turbine is very interesting because it is a 10kW based on a kit developed by Prairie Wind Turbines and upgraded tower design and some different internal parts. It is a relatively simple design and once we develop a better way of controlling it at high speeds, we will start selling the turbine commercially. It will be about $45,000 -30% Federal Tax Credit -any other incentives or payments from utility company.
Congratulations and Thank YOU to Richard and Vicky Wilson(My Parents) for being the owner of the second Freebird 10kW wind turbine. Their story was in print form in the Stuttgart Daily Leader on Tuesday or you can find it online here.
In pursuit of a cheaper, better and more productive wind turbine we took a chance on a new manufacturer to build what he called the “Freebird 10k”. I talked to the manufacturer who lived about 15 minutes from Gentry about purchasing a Freebird 10k and putting 2 up for the Red Barn Project taking advantage of several rebates. The manufacturer’s claim was that the turbine was 100% made in the USA with made in the USA parts andwould produce an average of 2,000 kWh per month and cost $30,000 installed on a 100ft. guyed lattice tower. Doing some figuring, that would make our state rebate(at the time $1.25kWh produced for one year) and the 25% USDA REAP Grant we could get if the business bought the machine. It looked like a real spectacular deal.
During my due diligence, I found that he did not actually have one of the machine’s up and running. A Red Flag. However, the turbine was based on a kit from Kansas and I was able to talk to the makers of the kit. Frank and I went to Kansas to see what this turbine was all about. The makers of the kit were very accommodating even though it was a surprise visit. Although, Red Flag, of the turbines none were working. One of the turbines was an issue they were able to fix quickly though, another turbine was being rerouted electrically because it was producing more than could be net metered which is a good thing.